Dr. Creed C. Glass Country Doctor's Office
Be sure to see the Doctor's Office in Historic Meyers Homestead at Maple Festival Park.
Dr. and Mrs. Creed C. Glass donated to the Pennsylvania Maple Festival all the valuable antiques from the town's first hospital, the Hazel McGilvery, named for Dr. Glass' wife.
"It is amazing that all the old instruments in the attic were still there. We guess we were always too busy to discard them," the Glasses said at the time.The Doctor's Office was opened in 1973 and is now located in the same building as the Cobbler Shop in Festival Park. In addition to the dozens of items donated by the Glasses, medical instruments belonging to Dr. Clay McKinley (1840-1932) were also donated. All items on display are authentic antiques. There are no reproductions. Also of note are a laboratory table with equipment, X-ray films and an early X-ray viewing box.
It would be impossible to list everything in the doctor's office. There are several items of particular interest; among them are a 150-year old set of surgical instruments with celluloid handles, a 100-year old cast iron table, local field light with candles, microscope, wooden supply table, office ledgers, leather medical bags and medicine bottles.
In the 70-year old category are an oak cupboard, a complete Edison Dictaphone, a case of surgical instruments and a metal hearing aid.
On display are the saber, gold arm insignia, uniform buttons and jewelry that President Abraham Lincoln presented to Dr. McKinley, who served during the Civil War in the Medical Corps and became a close friend of the Lincolns.